one of my fav scenes to be honest, cause lawd knws if they allowed black folks in the league maaaaaaan listen, alot of what ifs possiblities
This film, “A League of Their Own” dedicates so many scenes to issues like sexism.
Yet, blink too fast and you’ll miss this short scene…the one that shows how Black women were barred from the league.
The Black woman is supposed to represent Mamie “Peanut” Johnson (who actually did try out for the league). She wasn’t allowed to play and went on to be one of the few women to play with men in the Negro League.
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A FILM ABOUT JOHNSON AND THE OTHER WOMEN WHO PLAYED FOR THE NEGRO LEAGUE! But Hollywood …
The guy in front of me when I was getting ice cream tonight was wearing this.
update: i banged him
Happy day of the assassination of the archduke Franz Ferdinand! :)
history tumblr ppl rock
Anonymous said: hi you, it's joe. i've decided what i want for the playlist at my hopefully-far-away funeral and i felt i must inform you immediately: dubsteb remixes of the entire lumineers album peppered with male covers of t-swift songs that don't switch the pronouns, so it sounds gay. lord willing you'll have 60+ years to work on this divinely-inspired mix. i have faith in you. *poofs away to do poli sci hw*
I’m not sure how I missed this all day but here are my demands for my funeral that will happen when I turn seventy and die from a freak sky diving accident with my clone of a young Christopher Plummer:
1) You have to put “I don’t like fruit heated up” on my tombstone
2) Make sure the theme music at my wake is a mix of the orchestral music from various romantic movies, (and if you don’t quote the movies then you need to leave my wake because clearly we weren’t good enough friends) and also really trippy music by Lorde just to make sure no one’s falling asleep
3) Bury me to a really obscure Jason Robert Brown song, and then hire Anna Netrebko to sing literally anything as a reflection song, because she’s a queen, and then I’d like you, specifically you, you fire a shotgun in the distance and then make a speech about how against guns I was, just to get one last political ideal through all of their heads.
4) God willing I’ll die before all of my friends at the tender age of seventy, so ya’ll gotta go on an Elizabethtown themed drive in my honor, walkers and all, I don’t care if you all have alzheimers and can’t remember a damn thing, it’s gotta happen in order to fulfill the hallmark movie that is my life.
Only then will I come back from the dead to play host for your funeral with your obscure musical tastes, complete with scribbling my name into your tombstone much like a middle school yearbook….”HAGS luv Bridget D”
Still the greatest thing to come out of this serious ever
Here are some wonderful facts about Sea World’s orcas!
- The average lifespan of wild orcas ranges from 30-50 years, although some females can easily make it past 80 (a wild orca named J2 or ‘Granny’ is 103 this year!). The lifespan of a Sea World orca is around 25 years, the median age being 9. But at least they put on a good show!
- Don’t worry, collapsed dorsal fins are a common condition, although in the wild only sick or injured orcas have collapsed dorsal fins. All of Sea World’s males and some females have it, it makes them look unique!
- The size of Sea World’s tanks compared to an orca is about the same as a human to a bathtub. Lot’s of room to stretch and move!
- Wild orcas swim 100+ miles a day, they would have to swim around their tank 1,400+ times a day to achieve that. But that seems like a lot of work, and you may see the animals hanging out near the surface of the water or on the bottoms of their tanks for hours. That’s a lot more relaxing than swimming all those miles!
- Sea World gives their orcas a Valium-like drug to stop the whales from acting aggressively towards each other and to numb their minds from their vastly uninteresting concrete tanks. Buying a ticket to Sea World is an excellent way to help them pay for these drugs that they pump their animals full with!
- Many captive orcas show abnormal behaviors like head bobbing, chewing on concrete, and self mutilation by banging their heads into the side of the tank. Obviously just temper-tantrums! Silly things.
- In the wild, there has been only one orca attack. Bad orca! While in captivity, there have been over 100 attacks and 4 deaths. These animals just need more training, it couldn’t possibly be related to their confinement!
- Food is used as reinforcement for tricks. Do a trick, get your dinner. Don’t want to do a trick? I guess you don’t eat tonight you stubborn thing!
See? Sea World isn’t as bad as people make it out to be! Oh, one more fact: for every $1,000,000 Sea World makes, about $600 goes into conservation efforts (about $0.5 a ticket). I’m so glad they care about conservation of the ocean! Amazing work!
If you haven’t realized it yet, this post is 100% sarcastic. It should be obvious, but not everyone understands sarcasm…
Please don’t let this die
It’s not just sea world - they’re a huge offender, but we have to talk about all the players of the game.